Professor Kobre's Light Scoop Review

    Yesterday I introduced you to Katie Perkes and her incredible ebook The Key to Taking Pictures Like a Professional Photographer. So now, that you know all the ins and outs of your camera I wanted to introduce some really neat adds ons that will help you to take pictures like a pro!

    Remember yesterday I mentioned how a lot of people use their built in flash indoors and how you don't need to do that? Well, I wasn't lying BUT there are some drawbacks to using no flash in low light. Now, don't get me wrong, I've seen people use their flash in perfectly fine lighting but I realize that there are some situations where not using a flash results in a very orangey, yellow picture. Now, I'd rather have that than a blown out over exposed face taken with a flash and try to clean the yellow out in Photoshop but that's just my preference. Some other people might like the crisper details of the scene. But I have a really GREAT secret. You can have both, a great crisp picture, no yellow and without the cost of an expensive speedlite.

    I know a lot of you have heard of speedlites but can't afford to buy one. I got mine as a Valentine's Day gift but I know it costs close to $300 for a new brand name version. If the only reason you need a speedlite is to take indoor photos and avoid that head-on glare then take a look at the Light Scoop!
     
    Now, let me preface this by saying that a speedlite will do about a million more things that a Light Scoop can't like adjust multiple angles of flash, take external flashes and adjust the brightness of your flash but honestly, a lot of those settings aren't necessary until you are a seasoned photographer in which case an expensive speedlite would be an appropriate purchase. For those of you who just want nice indoor shots, the Light Scoop is INVALUABLE! No lie. And at only $30, it's a heck of a lot less expensive than a speedlite.
    Take a look at these two photos. Both were taken straight from my camera no digital clean up. The one on at top was taken with the built-in flash directed in front of the subject (Eloise), while the one below was taken with a Light Scoop. These were taken with a lot of natural light in the room but I have to tell you that you get the best before and after results when you use the Light Scoop indoors with artificial light. See here. See here. And here.
    This is how it works....the Light Scoop attaches to your camera's hot shoe like any other external flash. Then when the picture is taken, the built-in flash is triggered and bounces off the mirror in the Light Scoop directing it up and away from your subject for a much more diffused, true-to-life lighting. I'm actually wondering why no one ever thought of this earlier. I'm ACTUALLY wondering why cameras aren't made with an adjustable flash standard but that's another story I guess.

    Here's a video on how the Light Scoop works:
    I bought mine at Photojojo. But I bet you're wondering "Will it work with my camera?" The Light Scoop will work with:
    Canon 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Rebel XTi, XSi, 400, 450, XT, XS, 350, 1000D
    Fuji FinePix Pro
    Nikon D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D700
    Olympus E420, E520, E3, E620
    Pentax K10D, K100D, K20D, K200D
    Sigma SD14

    Sony cameras require a Sony Lightscoop, not a Universal model.
    Sony a100, a200, a250, a300, a350, a330, a380, a500, a550, a700
    It will not work with point and shoot cameras. Their flashes are not strong enough to bounce light onto the ceiling:(

    Here's some more before and after shots I took with my camera. The one on the right was taken without the flash. The one on the left was taken with the flash pointed at the subject (Molly) and the one in the middle was taken with the Light Scoop.
    One more thing, even though I OWN a speedlite I've found the light scoop to be far more practical. It doesn't require batteries and is light as a feather. I found that I was often leaving my speedlite at home because either I had forgot to charge the lithium batteries or it was just too bulky to tote around. Now, I leave the light scoop on my camera at all times and use it whenever the situation arises. Very convenient!
     

Post Title

Professor Kobre's Light Scoop Review


Post URL

http://bizzybbakes.blogspot.com/2011/06/yesterday-i-introduced-you-to-katie.html


Visit bizzybbakes for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive