Monogrammed Handmade Handkerchief How To

    monogrammed handkerchiefWith Christmas approaching I've been making my lists. I have two versions. My store bought list and my homemade list. I try to give my friends and family a few of both. So I'm always looking for new ideas for homemade gifts. I'll be posting the finished versions of the sewing related special occasion gifts periodically. This is my first.

    Last week we celebrated Brian's mother's birthday. I didn't have much money to spend so I sat trying to figure out something I could make. A scarf? Been done. Gloves? No time. I finally came up with this: Monogrammed handkerchiefs and a monogrammed linen case to boot! It also happens to be a great use for your extra fabric scraps! I figured, if she doesn't use handkerchiefs she could at least use them as quick clean ups on the go.

    If you too are looking for a quick holiday handmade surprise, here's a quick how to. Bear with me as this is my first attempt at a tutorial.

    The Handkerchiefs:


    1. Cut a 12x12 piece of fabric. I like to use soft material. If making several handkerchiefs choose several different prints that look good together. Perhaps a vintage floral, gingham and swiss dot.


    2. Finish the edges using your choice of a zigzag stitch. I've found that using a thicker thread is best. Also use a thread that has a similar color to one in the fabric but also contrasts with it.

    3. Then use a disappearing fabric marker and write the initial that you will be embroidering. Use embroidery floss and an embroidery needle to stitch along the lines. I like to use a split stitch. It's the easiest. To make a split stitch come up through the middle of your first stitch, splitting it in half. Make the rest of your stitches the same length as your first to get a nice even line. Start your stitches in the middle of the stitch before. Tie a knot at the end on the underside of the fabric.



    T
    he Carrying Case:

    1. Cut three pieces of fabric. One 4 x 7, two more 2 x 7.

    2. Sew contrasting double folded bias tape to the edges of the 2 x 7 pieces.

    3. Embroider initials on either side of each 2 x 7 piece.

    3. Sew the two 2 x 7 pieces to the 4 x 7 piece around the three edges without bias tape. Use a 3/8 allowance.

    4. Turn inside out. Voila! Done.

    I made the case above a bit thicker to fit all four handkerchiefs. But the instructions I included in this post are much simpler and more suited for a case that holds two or three handkerchiefs. If you have any questions just send me an email. I'll try to answer it as best I can!


    Create a Link!

Post Title

Monogrammed Handmade Handkerchief How To


Post URL

http://bizzybbakes.blogspot.com/2008/10/with-christmas-approaching-ive-been.html


Visit bizzybbakes for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List